Aquileia, Theodorian Basilica, Campanile SüdHalle

The archaeological sites of Aquileia is a Roman urban context, located in North-Eastern Italy (Friuli Venezia Giulia region), close to the Adriatic see. The Roman town is partially excavated and different archaeological sites are visible. The Aquileia Trust is responsible of the management of four sites of particular interest for the quantity and quality of mosaic floors, dating from the early 1st century, to the middle of the 5th century AD. The watch-tower, “Campanile”, of the Christian Basilica, preserves a portion of the tessellatum floor, formerly paving the North hall of the Theodorian Basilica. The hall was built in the early 4th century and obliterated, in the 11th century, by the watch-tower. In the same area, is the so called “Südhalle”, the southern hall of the later Basilica, datable to the late 4th century. The Hall preserves a tessellatum mosaic with geometrical patterns and Christian symbols.

Site Details

CODE IT-36-GO/BaThe
LOCATION Aquileia
PERIOD 4th century
PERIOD OF EXCAVATION 1893, 1915
OWNERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT Arcidiocesi of Gorizia (concession to Fondazione Aquileia)
PUBLIC ACCESS ticket
CREATED BY Cristina Boschetti