Palaiopolis is the core of the ancient city of Corfu and is located at the northern end of Kanoni peninsula. The use of the area begins in the late 8th century. BC, the era of colonization of Corfu and the Corinthians reaches Christian times. Paleopoli initially flourished during the ancient times and then in the later Hellenistic period centered in the marketplace and harbor. During Roman times there was development in the area, by the conservatory construction and operation of extensive bathing complex. During excavations, part of the market, port facilities, baths, religious and public buildings were revealed. The ancient city stretching from the Halikiopoulou lagoon - ancient harbor on the west to Garitsa Bay – Alkinoos’ harbor on east. Most antiquities are maintained at a low height and fragmented, as a result of continuous use of the site and the historical events that happened in the area. The wide area is bounded, to the west, by the only visible part of the fortification of the ancient city of Corfu, also known as Nerantziha’s wall. The wall is preserved on a low hill southern of Corfu airport. The temple of Artemis, the patron deity of the city, has been excavated to a short distance, southeast of the wall while eastwards a large part of the paving of the ancient market town of Corfu with the remains of several buildings have been revealed. The paved path reaches to the eastern boundary of this area, the part of the port facilities. In the southeastern boundary of the paving of the market is the Roman bath complex, which is preserved in better condition than all the aforementioned antiquities and testifies partly edge of the area. In the Palaiopolis area the visitor can learn the key aspects of life in the ancient city of Corfu and monitor the evolution of the use thereof.
Nerantzika Tower: The Nerantzika Tower is the only part of the old walls of Corfu Town that is still present. In this area, there was Alkinoos’ harbor, the entrance to which was bounded by two towers from which point the city walls began. During the invasions and wars the walls were destroyed and this section of the walls has been saved because it is built into the Byzantine chapel of Virgin Mary.
Temple of Artemis: Today, only parts of the base of the temple are remaining. There are none of the numerous columns that were once a characteristic feature.It was built in 590 B.C. with 17 columns in length and 8 in width and it was very big considering the largeness of the altar and the western pediment that has been discovered and now kept in the Archaeological Museum. This pediment is 17 meters large and approximately 3 meters high and it represents the Gorgon in the middle, her sons Pegasus and Chrysaor and two panthers to the sides and the battle of Titans to the double ends. Τhe exhibition of all archaeological objects found during excavations in the area of Palaiopolis, are housed in the archaeological museum Palaiopolis (Mon Repos).
Kanoni Peninsula, Corfu
Early 7th century BC
PERIOD OF EXCAVATION
1936-1955, 1962-1967, 1987
OWNERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
Μinistry of Culture
Centro Internazionale di Documentazione sul Mosaico