Archaeological Park of Egnazia

The history of ancient Gnathia was articulated over many centuries. The first settlement, consisting of a village of huts, was built in the fifteenth century. BC (Bronze Age). In the eleventh century. BC. (Iron Age) recorded the invasion of people from the Balkans, the Iapigi, while the eighth century. BC. phase begins messapica for Egnatia, as for all the Salento region, will cease with the Roman occupation occurred since the third century. BC. The city will then become part of the first republic and then the Roman Empire and decay with it. From the messapian phase of Egnatia remain the mighty walls of defense (7 m high, 2 km long, delimiting an urban area of about 40 hectares) and the necropolis, where in addition to graves and semi-chamber, there are monumental chamber tombs decorated with fine frescoes. In the city, only partially excavated, are preserved vestiges dating back to the Roman period. Between fifth and sixth centuries AD the city had to change its urban layout. The Via Traiana, which was in imperial times the main course of the site, the track width narrowed gradually, becoming in the Middle Ages a street invoice rougher. The fortress was built on the Acropolis defenses the medieval village at least until the thirteenth century, the last moment of life of a settlement that had met considerable prosperity thanks to its port and the economic and cultural relations maintained with the entire Mediterranean basin.

Site Details

CODE IT-75-BR/Egn
LOCATION Road SS 379, Fasano-Savelletri
PERIOD 15th BC-12th AD
PERIOD OF EXCAVATION since 1912
OWNERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT Superintendence for the archaeological heritage of Puglia
PUBLIC ACCESS ticket
CREATED BY Patrizia Borlizzi (SITI)